No Mommy For Christmas

Most weekday mornings I climb into my car, roll my eyes, move my seat back after my daughter had the car, and then punch the radio settings to "my station."  This morning started no different with the exception of changing the station.  Best thing I didn't do all day!
 
As my daughter and I were driving down the road, listening to the radio we were overcome by tears, grief and emotion at what we heard.  The Tucker & Sarah morning radio show was giving away their Merry Little Christmas to deserving recipients.  At this time of the year stories of gift giving, human compassion and heart touching generosity are more evident than at other times.  But this story is more than a story, it is a journey of a family consumed by cancer.  As I am sure they will tell you, although cancer has changed their lives it has not destroyed it! 
 

"Tears were streaming down my face and the traffic barely visible and I knew I just had to do more for this family than what has been done for them already."

 
Last year Tucker and Sarah had chosen a lady named Yvonne to be a recipient of their Merry Little Christmas.  Yvonne, a Breast Cancer survivor, a mother of six, and recent widow, found her herself battling lung cancer and bone cancer herself.  As a mother, this just rips my heart to pieces.  I cannot bear the thoughts of children loosing any of their parents, or myself loosing my spouse, not to mention having to fight my own battle to survive.  Listening to her conversation with the show and all the emotions she was going through struck that sweet spot in my heart.
 
One year later this family finds six children orphaned as their mother sadly lost her battle to cancer in August 2013.  The oldest child who is 24 now is sole parent to five siblings.  Their story can be found in an article of the London Free Press.  Once again Tucker and Sarah chose to give this family a Merry Little Christmas!  Good choice Tucker and Sarah!!!
 
Tears were streaming down my face and the traffic barely visible and I knew I just had to do more for this family than what has been done for them already.  I couldn't wait to get home and do some more research on this family. 
 
Tucker so graciously emailed me a link for donations on GoFundMe. I hope you will visit this site, open your heart and help these children.  No amount money will never replace the loss of their parents, but it will help in assisting them in every day life.  I truly believe if we can take the stresses of everyday off them while the adjust and grieve, we will help set them up for success.  It takes a village to raise a child and we now have six to help. 
 
The brutal reality is cancer kills.  Everyone of us has been affected by cancer in some way and tragically steals vibrant lives leaving behind those who must grieve.  Having lost a child, I know the grief that family members feel when losing one of their own.  People gather, love, and assist for a short time, but life goes on for everyone else.  Those who experience the loss are left to adjust, face their own grief, the grief of the other family members, and learn a new way of living. 
 
As I reflect on my own children, now almost grown, I can't imagine them saying, "No Mommy for Christmas."
 
I may never meet or speak to these children or know what happens to them in years to come, but my prayer is that they grown in love and strength.  I pray they will succeed in everything they do and NEVER let anything get in their way of becoming who they are meant to be.  And I pray they will NEVER find themselves feeling alone. 

Merry Christmas Strickland Family.  Our hearts are with you.


DONATE HERE

Sincerely,
Blender Woman

Comments

Popular Posts