The Wilderness Family Meets Grizzly Adams; A Distant Relative To The Beverly Hillbillies

My father was anything but what you would call a "City Boy", in fact, he resisted just about everything urban living was and stood for. Memories of my father growing up consist of hunting, hobby farming, Huckleberry gathering, picking rocks out of the garden, and riding in the back of a 4x4 pickup truck through rivers and mountains.

My father is one of the hardest working men I know. Very few could keep up to him in any way. He was genius and handsome, although gruff and goal focused. It was his dream to live in the bush, and not just out in the trees but having no neighbors for several miles. When I was around 11 years old, my parents found the land of their dreams. It was all they ever dreamed about. A plateau overlooking a valley, remote, beautiful trees and scenery. This was a  place most dream of just gong to, never mind living. They scraped all the money together in order to purchase this paradise.

I remember every weekend we would go to the property and walk around listening to my parents as they excitedly planned this great adventure. At the time the only access to the land was an old logging road that switched backed up the steep mountainside. There was no access for anything other than a 4x4 truck or horseback. So task number one was to make a drive way. And thus began the transformation of what I call "home". Eventually this raw and  wodded acreage made way for a clearing that is now the site of their mountain paradise.

In early spring, my parents decided it was time to move to the property, however; not everything was ready. OF COURSE NOT, because that would be too easy! And so began our three month camping trip in the Rocky Mountains. Our property was then scattered with tents; four to be exact. One for my parents, one for my brothers, another for my sister and I to share and a rather large tent for cooking, hanging out and general living. It was cold at night, the mattresses were hard and damp, in the heat is was unbearable and last but not least, we can not forget the spiders and bugs...shudder. No power, now plumbing, no television or telephone, this was our reality. And I became known to my family as "The Princess" from "The Princess And The Pea."

Funny how I knew things were different in my family, and not everyone lived our crazy life, but it was all I knew. We all were along for the ride in my father's dream. I have to say, it has been a good one for him, he loves it there and probably will stay there till the day he takes his grand exit.

During the three months of our Camping Adventure, we children still had to attend school. To me it felt like we were living in this surreal world of camping by evening and night, and off to school in the morning. It was like living in two completely different worlds. Sitting by the campfire at night, packing water from the nearby creek and bird bathing from a pot of hot water out in the cold open mountain air; and by day sitting in a class of noisy students, pretending I was just like all the other kids.

One day, my mother was driving us up the mountain to what was now home, when a bear ran across the road in front of our truck. It came from the direction of our land. My father was still working and wouldn't be home until later, so my mom had to deal with four children, a three month old puppy and a massive campsite. As we approached the campsite, we quickly noticed that Mr. Bear had left the evidence of his unwelcome visit. Two corners of the "Food" tent were ripped from his claws. Most things were left untouched as they had been well sealed for this very reason.

My mother made sure we all knew to stay close by until my father came home, but one small detail could not be avoided. The only bathroom facility was a short walk away by the creek that supplied our water. Of course nature came calling and I had to take a trip. My older brother came with me for safety (as if a 13 year old and 11 year old could defend themselves from an attacking bear!)

While we were off doing our business, Mr. Bear returned for dessert. My mother yelled at my younger brother and sister to get in the truck, while she grabbed the gun (my father had recently taught her to use it). She stood her ground with the gun and looked back to see my younger brother "J" pulling the dog into the truck. Frantically she was yelling at my brother to leave the dog and get in the truck. This is where my brother and I sauntered up. Just in time to see my mother, pick up a rock and throw it into the trees at him.

WHAT, are you kidding me? You are holding a gun at a bear who has already ripped apart one tent, and you are throwing a rock as an intimidation factor? Oh my this does not look good.

One thing about my mother, she is an incredible Woman of Faith.  She allowed her  of call instincts to take over.  WHIZZ...another rock whistled through the air at the beast while my mother's voice carried in the wind, "Go home, in the name of Jesus go home!"  This was getting more interesting by the minute. 

Holy Smokes Lady, you are holding a loaded 30-06 in your hand, you are throwing stones and telling a wild beast to go home!  Alrighty then, but I am pretty sure if this bear understood you he would say,

"Listen Woman, this was my home first, I believe you are the one who should be going home!"

But Mr. Bear was a respecter of his creator and did has he was told. Sauntering off into the trees; we never saw him alive again. Mr. Bear became a part of our history and our family that day. My father, the original Grizzly Adams, had a meeting with him on his walk up the mountain later that evening. Mr. Bear became part of our daily life and hung on our wall for many years in the form of a rug.

Years later my uncle gave me a photo album that my mother had compiled for my Grandmother. I reflect back on those days with memories that no other person I know experienced, like an altered universe or slipping back into some weird time warp.

I am the proud daughter of a Grizzly Adams, a member of the Wilderness Family and yes, may be  related to the Beverly Hillbillies!

To this day, if you ask my mother why she threw rocks and chose not to shoot, she will say, she threw the rocks because she didn't wish to injure the bear and chance making him angry.




My Father (in the blue) sharing all his dreams with his best friend.

Comments

Popular Posts